Saturday, May 31, 2014

Bookcase makeover using Annie Sloan chalk paint

One of the things you should know about me is that I LOVE a bargain.  So when I saw this cute little bookcase for only $30 at our local antiques store, I couldn't pass it up.  The finish was in pretty bad shape, but that didn't matter because I knew that I would want to paint it.  The decorative molding is what drew me in.  


I had used Annie Sloan chalk paint to paint my kitchen island, so I knew that is what I wanted to use for this project.  I decided on a nice light bluish grey called Paris Grey, with the decorative molding done in Old White.


One of the cool things about chalk paint is that most surfaces can be painted without a primer.  However, sometimes a piece that has a dark stain like mahogany will bleed through the chalk paint - like this piece did.  The solution is to give it a coat of clear shellac before you add the second coat of paint.  This spray shellac is great because it is dries in less than 10 minutes.


Here's the piece after adding the shellac, a second coat of chalk paint, and the clear wax.  I still wasn't happy with it, because I felt that the molding looked flat and uninteresting.  I decided to try the Annie Sloan dark wax.  Just a little bit goes a LONG way.  Much better, as you see in the second picture.  Now you can see the detail that I loved to start with, and the finish looks more aged.

 

Here's one final picture of the bookcase in place by my piano.  I am really happy with how it turned out.  Just a little time and effort, and it is much better than what I started with.  Oh how I love being creative!






No comments:

Post a Comment