Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Washington, DC - MLK Memorial

I am way behind on blog posts, so I am trying to catch up a little bit.  

In late July, Marc had to go to Washington, DC for a conference, and I tagged along.  It was one of the hottest weeks of the year, so I didn't do my typical "walk all over town taking pictures of everything significant."  However, the MLK Memorial had opened since the last time I was in DC, and I didn't want to miss it.  So off I went, walking a little over 2 miles in the heat to find the memorial.  



 When you enter the memorial, you see a dark granite wall that forms a semi-circle around the actual monument.  This wall is composed of individual sections featuring fourteen of King's more familiar quotes.



The monument itself looks like a large mountain in three sections.  The center section appears to have been pushed forward, and that is the portion where King's likeness has been carved.




After wandering around and reading all of the quotes, I sat on a bench for a long time, shedding more than a few tears, as I saw people of every race coming together freely to view this great memorial. As a daughter of the South born in the same year that the Supreme Court finally desegregated schools in Mississippi, it was very moving to see how far we've come toward equal rights in our country.  Yet there is still so much more work to be done.



No comments:

Post a Comment